Černín Palace

Hradčany, Loretánské náměstí 5

The palace was built for the count Jan Humprecht Černín of Chudenice in the years 1669 - 1682 according to the project of architect Francesco Caratti. The count Černín was the Emperor´s embassador in Venice. The building of the palace was finished later in high baroque style in the years 1717 - 1723 according to the plans of František Maxmilián Kaňka. In the year 1742 the palace was destroyed by the French and Bavarian army. It was repaired in 1744 - 1749 by Anselmo Lurago, who designed and built the new portals at the main facade and connected them by the balcony. The palace was destroyed for a second time during the Prusian canon-bombing in 1757, and repaired again by Jan Antonín Quitaner. At the end of 18th century the Černín family moved to Vienna and the palace was therefor abandoned. It was used for several purposes - there was a hospital, shelter for poor people, factory producing carts or a stock of hobs. In the year 1848 it was bought by the state and changed into the army barracks, what caused demage of the interiours. In the years 1928 - 1934 the palace was reconstructed by architect Pavel Janák, who followed the original plans of Francesco Caratti and carefully removed the newer changes and additions to the original baroque building. Černín palace is the longest Prague baroque building, the lenth of the front facade is 150 m. The palace is nowadays the seat of the Ministery of Foreign Affairs. There is partialy preserved the original office of Jan Masaryk, the Minister of Foreign Affeirs in the first after-war government.

Informations

Weather in Prague

Updated 01-01-1970 01:00