Schwarzenberg Palace

Hradčany, Hradčanské nám. 2

Schwarzenberg Palace is one of the best preserved renaissance palaces in Prague and toghether with the Royal Summerhouse represents the most impressive Prague renaissance buildings. It is situated on the West of the Prague Castle terrace. The Schwarzenberg palace is an example of so called Czech Renaissance which joint the Italian motives and Czech traditions. After the year 1500 there were three quite large houses and two of them became possesion of Jan of Lobkowitz Junior after the big fire in 1541. The palace was projected in 1545 by Agostino Galli known as "The Italian". The building was finished in 1567 including the sgraffito decoration.The count of Lobkowicz got the third house later, therefor the building of the Western side-wing was finished later. The facades and walls are richly decorated in sgraffito of north-italian and venezian patterns dating back to 1567. After the owner George of Lobkowicz got in troubles with the Emperor Rudolf II. he was sent to prison and all his property was confiscated. It became posession of Petr Vok of Rosenberg and after the Rosenberg family died out of Swambergs and Eggenbergs. After the marriage in 1719 it finally became posession of the Schwarzenberg family whose name it bears now. In 1908 the Schwarzenberg family rented the palace for free to the National Technical Museum which used it for the their expositions. During the May Uprising at the very end of the WW2 the palace was demaged a lot as it was used by the headquarters of the generality. After the necessary restoration it hosted the Museum of the Army History. In 2000 the exposition was closed due to another restoration which was finished in 2007. Nowadays the palace belongs to the National Gallery which displays the collection of barroque arts there.

Informations

Weather in Prague

Updated 01-01-1970 01:00