Thunovský palace

Malá Strana, Sněmovní 4

Thunovský Palace is located at the place which had its continuous settlement since the 9th century. The merchants that crossed the Vltava river at the present-day Manes bridge would stop by here. One of the oldest Prague settlements came to being when some of these merchants remained here. Up to ten churches used to stand in the vicinity of this important settlement. At the present-day palace complex with two courtyards, there used to be five gothic houses of which the remains can be see in the basemend of the palace. The combining of three of them into one occurred in 1490, when John from Roupa received the houses and built one large residence - Roupovský house. Smiřický and Valdštejn families are among its later owners. In 1650 the house was bought by Countess Margaret Anna Thun, 12 years later, she bought a second one. The third house was bought in 1694 by Maximilian Count Thun, who began its rebuilding a year later. During this rebuilding process, the older houses were demolished to the foundations and a new palace was created. The construction lasted until 1 quarter of the 18th century, except number of chambers and corridors a large hall was created as well. Today the large hall serves as the meeting hall of the House of Representatives. In 1801, Countess Anna Maria Thun sold the palace to the Czech estates, who immediately started classical reconstruction for the Provincial Assembly. On 14 November 1918 it held the first session of the National Assembly, in which the creation of the Czechoslovak Republic was announced, the Hapsburgs deprived of the throne, TG Masaryk elected president and Karel Kramar elected přime minister.

Last change took place after 1993, when the palace became the seat of the House of Representatives.

Informations

Weather in Prague

Updated 01-01-1970 01:00